Monday, September 26, 2011

Bee-conomics


Working with Apis Mellifera Ligustica (the Italian Honey Bee for those just joining us now) broadens my understanding of economics through a simple demonstration of supply and demand.  Demand from workmates and friends continues to grow for that sweet golden product that I hope the hives produce in surplus amounts soon.  However, due to a very rainy summer and the proximity of several other colonies, resources and competition diminish my bees ability to produce greats amount of honey.
Ok, I tried using the pipe to protect my face during the inspection...it kind of stayed lit the entire time.

But in the end I suited up completely!
On top of this simple yet powerful demonstration of basic economics, another ever prevalent phenomena occurs that parallels that of our own human species....stress.  With limited good weather days to get out and forage, the colonies remain stressed and it shows.  In short, the bees currently show signs of a market correction which will hopefully mean an increase in productivity in the near future due to Mother Nature stimulating the local flowering plants (take that, Congress).  During the last inspection, the slightest bump or movement alerted too many bees and they were ready to defend their colony!  Needless to say, the aggressiveness of the hives conforms to that of a colony during a food supply deficit.  Because the hives both continue to produce small amounts of honey, I do not supplement their food supply.  Any surplus in honey reserves counts as a sign of good health at this point in the season.
The black stuff around the rim is propolis...sticky, sturdy propolis!

During this inspection I wore full gear and it almost paid off.  Whenever too many honey bees got airborne, I simply froze to see their next move or continued to work gently.  One did, however, make it INSIDE of my veil and stung me inside the right nostril!  This weather and location will both end when I can move the hives back to the Plantation and the dry fall/"winter" comes to South Florida!

Close up!
I drive by and spy on the work in the Plantation.  The city looks like it has begun to button up the work and filled in the ditch they dug.  I am just awaiting the word and I will do another night time hive seal/move back to the previous premium in the Plantation.  I will keep you posted!  Until next time, remember to bee kind to your neighborhood pollinators!

No comments:

Post a Comment